If you are a hardcore gamer then you willl definitely know that AMD has introduced their AM3+ socket in the year 2011. And some of the very well known AM3 Processors are AMD FX-9370, FX-8350, FX-8300, FX 8150, FX-6300, FX-4350, FX-4300, FX 4130. To use these beast processors, we need the best AM3+ motherboard and today we are going to discuss about that.
Being an avid gamer, if you want to get the best computing experience or want to do video editing then you need AM3+ Socket motherboard for better CPU compatibility and maximum system performance. All of these 8-core CPU are one of the best and they can take the place of any 7th Generation Intel Core CPU’s position.
Now, directly jumping into our top picks which we have cumulated for the best AM3+ motherboard.
Our Top 3 Picks
List Of 7 Best AM3+ Motherboard
1. ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0
- Win8 Support Ready - Upgraded Hardware and Native BIOS Support, with 2 second Fast Boot.
- Dual Intelligent Processors 3 - New DIGI+ Power Control, with DRAM and CPU Power, and SMART DIGI+ Key
- Network iControl - Real-time network bandwidth control application that easily allowing users to prioritize bandwidth to different applications.
- Remote GO!- Simple Solution provides Seamless Wireless Enjoyment, turning the Smart Handhelds into your best home entertainment console.
- USB 3.0 Boost-Set USB 3.0 devices into 3 modes: Normal, Turbo, UASP to improve overall read/write performance instantaneously.Please refer the Use rManual before use
The ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 motherboard is coming with a standard ATX form factor. This board comes with a 6-pin CPU power connector, and below that you there is Digital 6+2 phases VRM design. There are a couple of heatsinks to keep the VRMS cool and both the VRMs are connected with a heat pipe for a better cooling solution.
This board comes with ultra-durable DDR3 dual-channels DIMM slots with nice black and blue color. This board is able to handle 2133 MHz of RAM which can be modified through the BIOS software. This board comes with a dedicated button that helps you when your CPU is already overclocked and you have some settings to change for the memory, just press that and it will reset.
This board comes with 5 6Gb/s SATA controlled by AMD SB950 controller and 2 6Gb/s SATA controlled by ASMedia PCIe SATA controller. This board offers a lot of PCIe and old PCI slots. ASUS M5A99Fx Pro R2.0 supports both SLI and CrossFire technology.
So, this is the sum up for the motherboard.
Now, let us talk about some Pros of this motherboard and then the Cons
- This board supports both CrossFire and SLI technology.
- The look of this board is really nice.
- This board comes with enough amount of PCI and PCIe slots.
- Nice VRM heatsink design.
- This board is good for overclocking.
- This board does not have wireless LAN.
This is one of the best AMD motherboard on our list. This board offers you almost everything. This board supports SLI and CrossFire, a sufficient amount of PCIe and PCI slots, supports overclocked RAM and this board has good CPU overclocking power also, that means you can perform a nice game on this gaming motherboard. In our opinion, just go for it.
2. MSI 970 Gaming
Micro-star international which is popular as MSI among people, MSI motherboard brand is known for its gaming performance. This board is built and destined to deliver gaming performance with 100% of accuracy. The cost is a little higher than the other motherboards of our list because this is a gaming one.
MSI 970 gaming is one of the best budget AM3+ motherboards you can have, which reveals itself in the year 2015. MSI introduced this board in 4 different variants with improved compatibility of RAM. This board makes your system more stable in terms of performance, which allows it to consume less power manually.
MSI motherboards are one of the best motherboards available in the market. It supports both SLI and CrossFire technology because this board is dedicated to gamers. This is a motherboard dedicated to gaming, this board comes with nicely build heatsinks for a better heat dissipation solution for flawless performance.
So, this is the sum up for the board. Now let us talk about some Pros of this motherboard and then the Cons.
- CrossFire and SLI multi graphic supported.
- Hyper Transport 3.0 supporting speed up to 4.8GT/s.
- Support overclocking RAM with dual-channel memory architecture.
- All USB ports do not support the M-Flash recovery function.
- The price of this motherboard is a little bit high.
This is an absolute motherboard with an AM3+ socket. You can use both SLI and CrossFire and be able to overclock the RAM which means if you are a heavy user and have an old AMD FX CPU it will not disappoint you.
3. ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
- Extreme Engine Digi+ II Powerful combination of analog and digital design elements, allowing precise adjustments to create greater efficiency, stability, and performance for total system control!
- Windows 8 Support Ready Upgraded Hardware and Native BIOS Support, with Fast Boot Feature!
- Game First II Prioritize packets with an intuitive interface!
- Intel Gigabit LAN Experience the fast network connectivity!
- SupremeFX III Bring gaming and studio to life with HD!
Asus launched one of the best AM3+ motherboards in 2012. Also, Asus launched a Crosshair V Formula-Z board with AM3+ socket, because of high-performance PC components, gaming features, and modules, and the customized look make this board a little higher-end board.
AMD itself suggests this ASUS board for AM3+ best motherboards, for the highest quality of experience as it has excellent sync with the Radeon graphics making this board an amazing gaming motherboard supporting FX CPUs. There are eight SATA ports in which you can connect the hard disk drive as much as you like. You also can connect SATA SSD to this board as well.
Choosing this board will give you advantages like CrossFire technology and SLI advanced technology. This SLI allows linking together two or more GPUs to split information to be rendered. The AMD CrossFire technology enables some technology like DirectX 11.
So, this is the sum up for the board. Now, let us talk about some Pros of this best motherboard and then the Cons.
- CrossFire and SLI multi graphics supported.
- It comes with a maximum memory speed of 2400 MHz .
- It has a total number of 4 modules of PCI-E module.
- The price of this motherboard is more than expected.
- No HDMI input and ECC support.
- Only 32 GB of maximum memory supports.
- No M.2 SSD ports are available.
There are lots of motherboards in the market but as you know ASUS is one of the most repeated ones. Though there are some drawbacks like no M.2 slot or HDMI, still this board performs well in real life, so you can consider it for any of your FX CPUs.
4. ASRock 970 Pro 3 R2.0
- CPU: Socket AM3+/AM3
- Memory: 4x DDR3-2100+(OC)/ 1866(OC)/ 1800(OC)/ 1600(OC)/ 1333/ 1066/ 800 DIMM Slots, Dual Channel, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, Max Capacity of 64GB
- Slots: 2x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 Slots (one runs at x4), 1x PCI-Express 2.0 x1 Slot, 2x PCI Slots
- SATA: 6x SATA3 Ports
- Ports: 4x USB 3.0 Ports (2 rear, 2 via header), 12x USB 2.0 Ports (6 rear, 6 via headers), 1x PS/2 Mouse Port, 1x PS/2 Keyboard Port, 1x RJ45 LAN Port, Audio I/O Jacks
AsRock is the budget board brand that provides better performance. Also, this motherboard performs so well which is confirmed by so many users all over the world as an AM3+ based motherboard. If you want some best features as other motherboards but you do not have enough budget to buy a high-end motherboard then this Asrock brand is here for you always.
It is one of the budget AM3+ motherboards on our list. You will still get a dual channel memory option. I mean a total of four DIMM slots to install the RAM on those sockets. Besides, as a storage option you will have six different on board SATA connectors to use the SATA Hard disk drive or you can install the SATA SSD as well on those ports.
It only supports the CrossFire advanced technology but does not support the SLI technology. If you want to install the NVMe M.2 SSD on this board then you cannot do that also because this motherboard does not have the dedicated M.2 port for SSD.
So, this is the sum up for the motherboard. Now, let us talk about some Pros of this motherboard and then the Cons.
- It supports CrossFire.
- It supports UCC.
- ATX Form Factor with solid capacitor design.
- It doesn’t support SLI technology.
- Doesn’t have the M.2 SATA slot.
- BIOS is not updated enough.
- It is not suitable for gaming.
AsRock makes all the good stuff. This budget AM3 board is good for your AMD FX CPUs and moderate tasks only. If you want high-performance gaming, then this board is not made for that.
5. Gigabyte GA-78LMT
- Supports AMD AM3+ FX/AM3 Phenom II, Athlon II series Processors
- GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 4 Classic Technology
- Integrated ATI Radeon HD 3000 graphics (DirectX10)
- PCI-E 2.0 x16 interface for ultimate graphics support
- Hybrid EFI technology with Dual BIOS for 3TB HDD support
You will never find any other motherboard manufactured brands who can satisfy their customer as Gigabyte can with this particular budget segment. This motherboard supports so many secondary features which will force you to choose this. Gigabyte also never disappoints the customer in terms of build quality because that is top notch always.
When you search the web or official website then only you can know some of the very unique features which many of the buyers, even the shopkeeper do not know. This board has three types of protection which will help the board, named as humidity, electrostatic, and power failure protection. All these protections will help you to use it for a long term and consume less power.
This motherboard brand will last very long because it has Ultra Durable 4 Classic Technology and the use of high-quality components. Also, the Integrated ATI Radeon HD 3000 graphics helps to run all media properly. But there is a disadvantage in this board like after the Windows 32-bit operating system has some limitation, installing 4GB of physical RAM, the actual RAM size displayed will be less than the size of the physical RAM installed.
So, this is the sum up for the board. Now, let us talk about some Pros of this motherboard and then the Cons.
- There is 4+1 Phase CPU Power.
- Comes with the support of 125W TDP.
- Hybrid EFI technology provides efficient performance.
- 4 USB 3.0 having super transfer rates of up to 5 GB per second.
- Using DVI-D port does not support the D-Sub connector by adapter.
- Simultaneous output for DVI-D and HDMI is not supported.
Gigabyte is a reputed brand, and is known for its customer service also. At this time if you are going to buy a motherboard for the AMD FX processor, you can consider this board. Another reason to buy this board is that it is made with high-quality components, so you can definitely go with this motherboard.
6. Gigabyte GA-A990XA UD3
- CPU:Support for AMD AM3+ FX/AM3 Phenom II/Athlon II processors. Chipsets: AMD 990X/AMD SB950
- Memory: 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory.
- Audio: Realtek ALC889 codec , High Definition Audio, Dolby Home Theater, 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel, LAN: 1 x Realtek RTL8111E chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
- Expansion Slots: 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot.
- Storage Interface: 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors , Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5,RAID 10 and JBOD
This best gaming motherboard from Gigabyte comes with some gaming features and peripherals that is why it is very famous among gamers. It also does have premium build quality capacitors. If you are searching the internet for the best AM3+ motherboards then it is one of the best options for you from Gigabyte as well.
This board supports both the PCIe based M.2 slots for the ultra fast M.2 SSD and also does have the SATA interface for traditional hard disk drive. This Gigabyte Budget Boards is always well known for its fast dual channels memory architecture. Here, the Multi-GPU configuration like the CrossFire and the SLI technology offer better graphics performance for gaming enthusiasts and demands the highest frame rates without compromising on resolution.
This Gigabyte motherboard comes with the latest gen USB 3.1 gen 1 Type-A port which is a brand new USB port available in the market while launching this board. Gigabyte made the PCI Express x16 slot or the port by using the steel to carry the load of the multiple GPU for a long long time.
So, this is the sum up for the board. Now, let us talk about some Pros of this motherboard and then, the Cons.
- It supports AMD CrossFire and NVIDIA SLI technology.
- The World’s Next Universal Connector with Fast USB 3.1
- It has GIGABYTE Dual UEFI BIOS Technology.
- Industry leading Gigabyte Ultra Durable technology for PCIe Metal Shielding.
- Gaming ambient LED for a better and attractive look.
- It requires better cooling management.
- Overclocking is not properly integrated into BIOS.
But if you are thinking of doing overclocking in this Gigabyte GA 990X, then this board might not be for you. The VRM cooling system and the heat sinks are not that calibrated well for overclocking. Even the BIOS is also not optimized for it. It is basically for day-to-day tasks up to moderate usage. You can do heavy gaming but do not expect extreme performance because we have already said that this board is not made for overclocking.
7. ASUS M5A78L-M Plus
- AM3+ CPU Support Ready
- Core Unlocker Unlock true Core performance intelligently
- Anti Surge Full time Power Guardian Make System Free From Risk
- ASUS EPU System Level Energy Saving
- Low EMI protect you: 50% less radiation
ASUS M5A78L-M Plus is an AMD platform, and this is a Micro ATX motherboard based on the 760G chipset. We will get a black PCB with blue touch which looks like a really nice color combination. This board comes with 6 total SATA 3 GB/sec connectors.
To power this board, there is a 24-pin power connector. This board comes with 2 DDR3 RAM slots. There is a 4-pin power connector for the CPU. This board comes with just 2 fan headers. For expense, there are two PCIe X1, one PCIe X16 and a regular PCI slot.
At the rare IO, this board offers two PS2 for mouse and keyboard, that interestingly enough we get a parallel port in a serial port you don’t see those very often anymore, as well as a VGA adapter for the onboard graphics and there was 4 USB 2.0 with a LAN port and the audio jacks.
So, this is the sum up for the motherboard. Now, let us talk about some Pros of this motherboard and then the Cons.
- Nice and unique in look.
- Core unlocking feature is there in this board.
- Solid capacitors are provided on this board.
- Less quantity fan headers.
- Only 16 Gb memory storage capacity.
This board is overall good enough to do your daily work. If you want to play games, you can but do not expect much because this board cannot handle high graphics games.
Buying Guide For The Best AM3+ Motherboard
Now we will talk about some of the motherboard features that should be in a best AM3+ motherboard.
Chipset & Socket
A chipset is a circuit that manages the transfer of data from the memory to the cache memory of the AMD processor itself. You will get south bridge and north bridge, both types of chipset in this AM3 motherboards. We are browsing here for the AM3+ or the AM3 motherboards, so there is no second choice for the socket. All the AM3 CPUs are compatible with the AM3+ motherboard. AM3+ is one of the best socket cpu which has outstanding competitor specification in that era.
There are primarily two different types of motherboards found in terms of form factors like, ATX (Advanced Technology Extended) and Micro ATX (Micro Advanced Technology extended).
ATX is the full-size motherboard, and you will get all the standard ports, RAM slots, and expansion slots, and USB ports in this standard size board. On the other hand, Micro ATX is smaller than ATX so you will get fewer ports,expansion slots, and USB ports in this form factor. You can also find the Mini ITX motherboard which is also a great motherboard or a good motherboard for your small form factors pc build.
Memory slots is one of the primary features for all the motherboards to get the true core performance from a AMD processors in a gaming PC. It will be obviously better to have four or at least two DIMM slots to install the RAM Module. It also should support ample amount of memory speed for high tdp cpu support and low speed peripheral buses.
PCI express graphics interfaces is again one of the best important socket for a gaming machine. If your motherboard supports hybrid EFI technology for graphics card, then it is okay.
We are talking about best motherboard or the good motherboard for AM3+ socket. This kind of best board should support jack detection for external devices, dual BIOS and native BIOS support, fast boot switch, slow mode, easy energy saver technology and overclocking features. You also look for a better VRM compatible motherboard for lower working temperature and power consumption in decent price range because we are not looking for a cheap motherboard over here.
You can also look for the RGB lighting or better audio quality to enjoy the gaming ambience.
Storage & USB
At that time, there was no support for the M.2 SSD port. You will only get the SATA ports so if you have to use the SSD then you will have to use the SATA SSD or you can use the traditional hard disk drive. For USB, you have the USB 2.0 or the 3.0 gen 1 type A port. That time, there was no availability of Type C port.
We have already congregated best of the best AM3+ motherboard here. We made this list on the basis of form factor, expansion slots, RAM speeds and number of module, VRM cooling system, overclocking ability and many more. So, if you pick up any one of them from our top picks then you wont disappointed on your purchase. You can play games, do video rendering what ever you want.
If you like our content then please comment down below if you have any other problem regarding our list then also let us know we will try to reach you and help you out. Thank You.
Please do check our other articles and don’t forget to visit G-Prime every week. We keep on posting new content every Sunday.