If you are looking ahead to update your laptop or PC but is not sure about the specs of your motherboard, this content is right for you! You may easily check the model number of your RAM or CPU from your system, and also check their specs in the summary, that’s not the same when you are checking your motherboard model. Based on the OS and the motherboard, there are a lot of things that you might need to check!
Why Do You Need To Check Which Motherboard You Have Been Using?
Certainly, there are a lot of reasons for which you might need to check the motherboard model that you have been using! The first could be due to the fact that you are planning to sell your PC anytime sooner, and thus, need to know all the specs so as to figure out who could be your potential buyers. You might even feel the requirement to learn about it if you are planning to upgrade your CPU and need to learn which motherboard or chipset you would need to buy so that you can determine the one that would be compatible with your system.
How Will You Check Your Motherboard With Windows Tools?
Windows 10 and Windows 11 PC come with enough inbuilt tools through which you can easily identify the model number of your motherboard, as well as, extract the other details related to the same. Here is what you need to do:
Checking the motherboard model with Command Prompt.
Now, you can easily choose to check the model of your motherboard with the use of Command Prompt. Simply follow the steps as stated below:
- At first, you will need to type cmd in the search bar.
- Now, select the Command Prompt application.
- Type Windows + R, and type the cmd into the popup window. Press the Enter button.
- There is no need to run Command Prompt as your administrator. Once the command window is open and visible to you, just prompt Windows Management Interface Command (WMIC) to fetch the manufacturer, model number, name, and other specs of your motherboard.
- Type this directly into Command Prompt:
- wmic baseboard gets the product, manufacturer, version, and serial number (There is no use of space between the modifiers, they are just meant to be separated with the use of a comma).
Checking Motherboard Model With Windows System Information:
Fetch the motherboard details from the Windows System information. However, let me tell you that this procedure applies to certain motherboards, so you can just choose to give it a try – in case if it works for you!
Certainly, this is one of the easiest ways through which you will be able to check your motherboard model number and brand too, right on your Windows platform.
- At first, open the Run page using Windows + R.
- Now, type msinfo32 into the window and then press the Enter button.
- You will be redirected to the System overview page.
- You will be able to read the details specified next to your Baseboard manufacturer, Baseboard Product and the Baseboard version.
How To Use Motherboard Checker Programs?
Recently, with the growing advances in the field of technology, you can now see more and more third-party apps being developed for almost each and every purpose. The same is available to check your motherboard details too! You may use these free options available to check your motherboard info. Choose any one of these programs as stated below:
Using CPU – Z
Use CPU – Z to find out all the information about your motherboard in detail. It is free software that will deliver all the details about your system’s hardware.
- Simply download the program on the CPU-Z website. Install the program thereafter!
- Now, the software will automatically analyse the components of your system.
- Next, select the Mainboard tab to find out further details about your motherboard. You shall be able to know the manufacturer, model number, and chipset along with all other related details for your motherboard.
Using Belarc Advisor
This is yet another amazing program to find out the serial number of your motherboard. The best thing about this software is that it doesn’t share any of your data with the web server. Once analysed, the software will simply allow you to view the summary in the form of a local file through your web browser. This is safe as well since you do not need to fear suffering from any kind of privacy issues or data loss.
- First, start the program.
- It will then go through multiple scans once you allow it to run. Further, the browser will show up all the details in the browser tab.
- The results will include info related to your hardware components, OS, connected devices, login sessions and more.
How Will You Check Your Motherboard Specs Physically?
You can always choose to use the software information to check your motherboard specs. However, you can choose to check the features physically as well. Simply find out the motherboard box that you have, and then you can find all the details on the label of the box itself, right from its model to serial number.
Using Linux to find out the specs of your motherboard.
If you are using Linux, you can easily find out its specs right on it!
- At first, press Ctrl + Alt + T to open the terminal in Linux.
- Now, type the command: sudo dmidecode -t 2
- You will be able to view the summary of your motherboard right on the screen including details like the brand, model, serial number and more.
It is always amazing to use a system or equipment, but there are just a couple of people who actually seem to take an interest in trying to know what model or specs they already own! So, if you are one in the line, let us know the procedure that worked for you, and your experience about the same!